WRN help links

Subsidized Housing


Subsidized housing generally refers to housing that is provided on a "rent-geared-to-income" (RGI) basis. Your rent in such a program will be either 25 or 27% of your yearly income.  This type of programing is targeted for households that are at a low or fixed income.  If you are a renter in a RGI unit, your rent will be assessed yearly (for rules of subsidy, see below).  RGI housing is provided by the Manitoba Housing Authortiy, Winnipeg Housing and Rehabilitation Corporation and various non-profit and co-operative housing providers.

If you are on a low or fixed income, and you live in market rental housing, you may be able to apply for a rent supplement subsidy that will help with your monthly rental payment .


Subsidized Housing

Manitoba Housing (Public Housing).   Manitoba Housing provides a range of quality housing such as apartments, townhouses, duplexes and houses.   Rental rates are based on a rent-geared-to-income ratio of 28 per cent of the household income. For an application call (204) 945-4663 or toll free 1-800-661-4663 or download an application form here.

If you are a Manitoba Housing tenant and are dealing with a conflict or an issue that property management is not addressing then try calling the main inquire line for direction: 204-945-4663 or toll-free at 1-800-661-4663 or e-mail housing@gov.mb.ca.

Social Housing Assisted Living (SHAL) is a Manitoba Housing initiative to provide affordable assisted living services for seniors aged 65+. Services include meals, housekeeping and on-site activities.


 Winnipeg Housing and Rehabilitation Corporation (WHRC).   WHRC provides affordable, clean, and safe rental housing in the inner-city and North end as well as market rent units in various areas of the City of Winnipeg.  The majority of the units are available to people requiring rents geared to income (RGI). Applicants approved for RGI would pay 25 to 27 per cent of their annual gross household income.   Contact 949-2880 to inquire on their waiting list.   Click here to download an application form.


Non-Profits and Cooperatives.  Many co-operatives and non-profit housing providers offer rent-geared-to-income units or rent supplements.  Ask the housing provider directly if subsidies are offered.   Two property management firms that manage a significant number of non-profit and cooperative housing, including Rent-Geared-to-Income, are Murdock Management (phone: 982-2000) and SAM Management (phone: 942-0991).

Many housing co-ops in Manitoba are members of the Co-operative Housing Federation of Canada (CHF Canada) which has a Manitoba office. For further information call 1-888-591-3301 or 204-947-5411 in Winnipeg or email.

Aboriginal Housing.  Much of the housing stock managed by aboriginal and metis housing providers are on a Rent-Geared-to-Income basis. 


Rules of Subsidy

1. The portion of the full monthly rent the applicant is required to pay is related to the declaration of income the applicant has made.

2. The portion of the full rent the applicant will pay will not increase for 12 months from the commencement date, except if it is discovered that the applicant has made a false declaration of total household income or family composition.  In the case of a false declaration that applicant's portion of the full monthly rent will be increased retroactively and this subsidy agreement terminated immediately.

3. During the 12 month term of this agreement, the applicant may apply for an adjustment to the applicant's portion of the full monthly rent if household income decreases more than $40 per month for a period of time.  Any adjustment will be at the sole discretion of the agent.

4. The applicant must provide proof of household income acceptable to the agent.

5. The agent will subsidize an applicant in a housing unit of a size required, in the agent's opinion, to meet the needs of the applicant's household.  The applicant's portion of the monthly rent may be adjusted in relation to the monthly rent of an approved housing unit or the application may be asked to relocate to a housing unit that is more suitable, in the agent's opinion, to the household size of the applicant.

6. The application agrees to notify the agent of any termination of the tenancy with the Landlord at least a full rental period in advance of the effective day of termination.


Rent Supplements

Rent Assist (formally Manitoba Shelter Benefit or RentAid) is a monthly benefit to help low income families and individuals, as well as people receiving income assistance (EIA).

If you are not on Assistance (EIA) and pay more than 28% of your income on private rental housing, then you may be eligible for Rent Assist. The amount of the benefit depends on household income and the monthly cost of renting.  Check eligibility with this on-line estimator.  Download the application form here. Winnipeg Office 102-114 Garry Street.  Phone 204-945-2197 in Winnipeg; 1-877-587-6224 toll free.  Email.

Rent Assist for individuals and families on EIA will be assessed when you apply.  Rent Assist replaces RentAid but you will not have to reapply. You will automatically get Rent Assist, as long as you keep meeting the requirements. Phone for EIA Rent Assist in Winnipeg: 204-945-0183. Toll free: 1-866-559-6778. Email.

School Tax Assistance for Tenants 55+.   Rebates available for income-tested tenants over the age of 55 to offset the school tax portion of rent costs.  If you are at least 55 years of age and have a household income of less than $23,800, then you are eligible for annual rebates of up to $175, payable once a year...